We're first year students from Wayne State University School of Medicine and are traveling to spend two weeks working at the Christian Medical College in Vellore, India. We're excited to broaden our perspective on medicine and our view of the world. We'll be chronicling our experiences as we rotate through different specialties.
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
First day at CMC
Hey all!
Today was our first day at the clinic. What an experience. We got there around 8am and the entire campus was full of people waiting in line. After paying 60 rupees and asking a few security guards for directions, we were finally in the internal medicine department. Joel, Ekta, and I were assigned to different departments. We had to meet with the head of each department to get our assignments. I was in department 2 which was doing grand rounds today. A man, who appeared to be the office aid, led to the the MICU (medical intensive care unit). When I arrived the doctor had already started rounds. There were two residents and about 10 interns. The residents (called registrars in India) presented the cases and the interns were asked questions about the medical notes. (From what I understand, the medial interns are students who completed 5 years of undergrad right out of high school. After they finish their intern year they will continue onto residency). It seemed like I was in a game show spitfire round. The doctor was throwing out questions left and right by randomly choosing students. At one point the doctor asked about the nuclei of the cerebellum and I quietly said the answer. The resident that was standing next to me acknowledged my attempt with a smile. Right after that we moved on to another patient and the doctor explained motor deficits. Then it was my turn to get grilled.
Doctor: Let's ask our international exchange student. Name a syndrome that results in purely motor deficits.
Me: (Blubbering like an idiot) uh....I don't know.
Doctor: What year are you?
Me: Second year.
Doctor: So you have taken physiology haven't you?
Me: Yes. I just don't remember. I'm sorry.
Doctor: So you're just like our students. Forgetting right after an exam. (EVERYONE LAUGHS)
That was intense. Had everyone not laughed, I would have been so embarrassed. So glad that the "learn and dump" approach to medial school crosses all cultures. Now I'm going to read all about motor deficits so I can contribute at least one intelligent comment during tomorrow's journal club.
I also met two other girls during rounds who are from the UK. They've been here for about 3 weeks prior to which they were doing and elective in Sri Lanka. It was nice to get some information and tips about site-seeing and restaurants. We've made plans to have dinner on Wednesday during the international night at Darling.
All in all the first day was super interesting. Lessons learned:
1. Everyone wears sandals in the hospital. Even in the operating rooms.
2. Sterility, in terms of random people walking into patient rooms, doesnt seem to be a priority.
3. White coats are nonexistent.
4. Lunch breaks are called coffee breaks.
5. Patient records are very disorganized. Imagine a folder stuffed with random folded papers. Computers wer primarily used for visualizing test results (CT, MRI)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment