The downside of medicine in India. In many ways India is coming up and medical tourism is increasing, but as someone who was raised in the US, I was raised witnessing doctors take the utmost precautions for sterility. For instance, doctors always wash their hands before going onto the next patient in clinics. Although the signs are there to do such in the out patient clinics, I rarely witnessed any of the residents do it. Only saw them use the hand sanitizer on the wards. Otherwise hand washing was virtually non existent and even when it happens they have a regular kitchen napkin like napkin and not paper towels. so how clean can that really be? Nisha also told me today that sterility was lot less in the OR. From people walking in randomly while the surgery is going on (by people I mean lay people not nurses who are scrubbed in), and less hand washing. Instruments are cleaned but not autoclaved and plastic disposable stuff is not used to cover the patients. I'll leave her to expand more. But the point is medical tourism is increasing but at what cost to the patient? The cost is cheaper but the sterility is less. One really has to question it. The other thing I noticed here is that at this very christian medical school, some of the doctors have the same hardcore christian views against all other religions as I witnessed growing up in Florida. As a hindu Indian I find this disheartening.
On the bright side I did get to visit the temples of Kanjipuram and also buy a kanjivarm sari. That city was far more exciting. But I suppose most of the happening places in Tamil Nadu are outside of Vellore. although we also did go to the golden temple of sripuram 15km outside of Vellore. it was beautiful. Wasn't allowed to take pics but google has some good images so you can get an idea from such. but then it was constructed only in 2007 so its state of the artness (gold and lighted with huge chandaliers and huge gardens surrounding it) for a temple compared to the ancient temples elsewhere in tamil nadu shows.
On the bright side I did get to visit the temples of Kanjipuram and also buy a kanjivarm sari. That city was far more exciting. But I suppose most of the happening places in Tamil Nadu are outside of Vellore. although we also did go to the golden temple of sripuram 15km outside of Vellore. it was beautiful. Wasn't allowed to take pics but google has some good images so you can get an idea from such. but then it was constructed only in 2007 so its state of the artness (gold and lighted with huge chandaliers and huge gardens surrounding it) for a temple compared to the ancient temples elsewhere in tamil nadu shows.
No comments:
Post a Comment